Financial Education Training Three: Effective Financial Education for Post-Secondary Education
|Wednesday, June 27, 2012. 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM Eastern|
San Francisco, CA
|The AFI Resource Center is pleased to announce a series of two-day Financial Education Academies for AFI grantees and other financial educators. These sessions, conducted as “train-the-trainer” sessions for staff that deliver or manage financial education will be presented in various locations throughout the country. These sessions are offered free of charge (no registration fee), but attendees will need to pay their own travel costs; however, travel stipends are available for AFI grantees. Two different academies will be offered: Level One and Level Two. Please read on for a description of these sessions. In addition to the training sessions, at some locations we will also offer a Technical Assistance clinic where participants can get small group or one-on-one assistance on financial education needs.
Effective Financial Education for Post-Secondary Education. The purpose of this training is to provide AFI Grantees with the opportunity to further develop their financial education facilitation skills and content knowledge on topics related to post-secondary education. Topics will include:
• How paying for post-secondary education (direct and indirect, i.e., living expenses) impacts budget and cash flow
• How financing options impact net worth
• Estimating tuition and cost of living costs
• Figuring out how to pay for post-secondary education and training financing options
• Understanding loans and how people get into trouble with loans
• How to most effectively use the IDA with other post-secondary education and training financing options
• Understanding accreditation and the different kinds of schooling options available
• Identifying the predatory side of post-secondary education and training provision and financing
• Helping participants get the best return on their investment in education and training; connecting training with careers
• And more.
Travel Reimbursements Available to AFI Grantees:
For AFI grantees only, a $600 travel stipend reimbursement is available to help offset travel costs to the Financial Education Academy. Please indicate your interest in receiving information about this reimbursement when registering for the training.
Technical Assistance Clinics Available:
At the Tennessee, New Mexico and Pennsylvania trainings, we will also offer a “Technical Assistance Clinic” during the evening of the first day of the training. At this clinic, you will be able to meet in small group or one-on-one with a financial educator to discuss issues or concerns and to get assistance on those topics.
If you are interested in attending one of these sessions, please complete the registration form. Confirmation and additional information about the session will be emailed to you.
If you have any questions, please contact the AFI Resource Center at: 1-866-778-6037 or firstname.lastname@example.org.